Wednesday, March 24, 2010

'Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express'

By LAUREN FLAUM

I have a thing for cookbooks. I own shelves and shelves of them: Some glossy with beautiful full-page colors photos; some large hardcover tomes of recipe after recipe; some from famous chefs like Julia Child and some from unknowns.

Even with my vast collection, I find myself renewing the same book from the library over and over -- or as many times as they'll let me. "Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express" is like none other. Toss out any notion you may have of a traditional cookbook. Bittman scraps the ingredients list, throws format to the wind and doesn't even think about measurements.

Bittman is something of a celebrity in the food world. His face might not be as synonymous as say, Rachael Ray, but he's certainly on the scene. Bittman writes a weekly column for the New York Times, called "The Minimalist," with an accompanying blog and he brings that same realistic and simplistic approach in the kitchen to the recipes in this, his latest book.

The book is filled with 404 recipes -- broken down into 101 dishes for each season. Each recipe is just one paragraph and provides a quick sketch of what to do, with a short blurb before each explaining, describing, offering a variation or giving suggestions of what to serve alongside. Also, each recipe can be made in under 20 minutes -- some in as little as five.

First off, I love that Bittman has broken the book down by seasons. This is the proper way to cook. Good ingredients are the backbone of excellent home cooking, and you're more likely to find quality ingredients in season. "As it happens," Bittman says, "asparagus is best in spring, broccoli in fall, corn in summer, and so on." Bottom line: Mother Nature knows best.

The recipes themselves are fresh and innovative. They range from classics, like Caesar salad, to new takes on the common, like Gruyere apple grilled cheese, to full-on fusion, like an Italian tostada. And some are so eccentric (and wonderful!), they defy categorization altogether, like Nutella fondue. Are you drooling yet?

Each seasonal chapter begins with breakfast, goes on to soup and salad, then on to sandwiches and vegetarian cuisine before segueing into fish, chicken, pork, beef and lamb; next up it's pasta, and finally, dessert. As you can see, this is a very comprehensive approach to cooking and makes planning a whole meal -- from appetizer to ending -- a snap.

Lately, I've been delving into the Spring section, and recently made Bittman's chicken tandoori. Broiled on wooden skewers, I served it with roasted asparagus (yum!) and will soon be providing the recipe on my own blog, Live to Eat. It was incredibly easy and tasty, just like everything else I've whipped up from the book thus far. I'm also jazzed to try a few more of his springtime selections, including udon noodles with green tea broth, BLT salad, Middle Eastern pizza and bittersweet chocolate crepes with smashed fruit.

Looking into my culinary crystal ball, I can clearly see that the grill will get a lot of use this summer, and Bittman will be right there with me. From jerk chicken to Korean barbecued beef and the author's take on "a very good burger," I can't wait to get my food over an open flame. And for days when it's simply to hot to fuss, I definitely planning on trying out some of his cool summer stuff, such as a feta and watermelon salad or zucchini and dill soup.

The blurb on the back of "Kitchen Express" notes that "this style of cooking is about three things: speed, flexibility and relaxation." I dig it. In fact, the idea of cooking foods in a fast, flexible and relaxing way is so appealing, I think I'll make it my own new culinary mantra.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren
Thanks for the link to the blog. ( Jeff Jarvis would be proud of you! ) I can adapt some of these recipes to veg, better yet I do cook for those... gasp... horrid meat eaters. Within a few minutes looking over the recipes I favorited 4 for the holiday visitors soon to park their rears in my kitchen and demand I stop this silly veg diet we have adopted in our home. Maybe the recipes will shut them up? Hopefully. One of my fave cookbooks I started all of this vegthing with is this...Vegetarian Homestyle Cooking by Jeanne Tibero, MS, RD. She is a nutritionist and concentrates on heart health which is needed here at this time.It is my 'go to and then adapt to' our situation bible. I found many veg recipes aren't all that nutricious or healthy. The Nutella cupcakes, well, I am not a sugarholic but they have been haunting me. We shall see. Eat well and prosper, Lauren
Your Cyber Mom

March 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM 
Anonymous Lauren said...

To my cyber mommy -- and any other veggie readers:
This book has TONS of veg recipes, and everything is really very healthy because of how simple it is (less ingredients = less bad stuff). I definitely think you should get your hands on it. However, for all vegan recipes, I say look no further than the fabulous Canadian cookbook author Sarah Kramer. Her books include "Garden of Vegan," "How it all Vegan" and "La Dolce Vegan" -- all wonderful! Even if you're not vegan, just vegetarian, you'll be able to get a lot of mileage out of these books. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Mollie Katzen's Moosewood cookbooks. "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day" is a personal favorite.
Stay cool,
Lauren

March 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren
I couldn't get a comment in your blog today so I will leave it here. You are sooo tempting me to drop this silly veg thing. Todays recipe is making my pasta bean salad lunch look boring right now. I have several of the Moosewood cookbooks BUT now I will check out a Sarah Kramer book. Thanks for the info. To me it is all in the herbs/spices/marinades used and making your own stocks, etc. ( just dawned on me, that is about all one can do to these veggie critters, isn't it? chop 'em, soak 'em, eat 'em fresh and organic all the way.I find this to be time consuming, all the veg prep time and bean soaking but well worth the effort and fun for someone like me who enjoys cooking and has found an entirely new arena to 'experiment' bwhoo whaha in. My kitchen is once again my labORatory and Mr Sardonica my little lab rat. This is as it should be.
Happy cooking and be careful with those sharp knives!
Your Cyber Mom

March 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM 
Blogger The Middletown Press said...

Cyber Mom,
I checked the comment settings on my blog, and you're right, something was wrong -- But I fixed it, so you can comment away again.
Instead of being tempted to drop the veg thing, why don't you just make the cheesy pasta bake without the meat? It'll still be awesome, I promise. I put up the veg* note with you in mind!
Also, what do you think of Live to Eat's new look? I gave it a bit of a makeover.
Happy eating,
Lauren

March 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home