Wednesday, March 24, 2010

'Up for Renewal'

By VIKTORIA SUNDQVIST

“Up for Renewal” follows writer Cathy Alter as she takes on the task of letting magazines guide her life.

Alter, a divorced Jewish woman living in Washington, D.C., sets out on the task of letting "O," "Cosmopolitan" and "Glamour" teach her about love, sex and starting her life over. And in 12 months, she manages to do just that.

First, she learns how to wrap a sandwich to bring to work using a clingy plastic wrap. Then, she learns how to make a whole meal. She even learns to get rid of her "upper-arm jiggle," to be comfortable with going camping, how to live without washing her hair every day and how to paint her apartment.

One of the reviewers on the back cover of the book said it feels like you’ve made a new friend when you read it, and that’s really how I felt. While I chuckled slightly and felt significantly more domestic than Alter as she stumbled through her sandwich stage, I found her voice open and honest and it was very easy to feel sympathetic for her many failures.

Of course, the book isn’t for everyone. For one thing, there are several references to Alter and her co-worker having sex at work, which may be too much to handle for some. Others might just not understand Alter’s personality.

I lent “Up for Renewal” to a co-worker who was going through a renewal face, and she hated it.
“This woman can’t even make a sandwich,” was the first thing she said.
“But didn’t you think it was funny?” I asked.
“Not really. She gives all Jewish women from Connecticut a bad name.”

She quickly handed the book back, as if not wanting to be seen with it near her desk. But that’s OK. We can’t all like the same thing. I am currently having my “Monster of Florence” co-worker read it just to see if I’m crazy, or if she likes it too.

I’ll get back to you on how that goes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a fun book. One never knows what will make people laugh but remember always toss it out to the universe and if it was meant to be it will happen, if not it will come back and kick you in the a**. not like that butterfly thing. That is for wusses.
I have a book that made me laugh and I think you may enjoy it. Any bookworm will relate. It is 'How I Became a Famous Novelist' by Steve Hely. The writer sets out to write THE BEST SELLER for money alone. Anyone who follows the lists and reads the books will laugh and snicker through most of the book. I suggest you read it with no one in the room because people look at you when you laugh at books. ( well, they look at me but maybe it is because I am a goofball...hmmmmm? must ponder this )Give it a try.

I am sending a link per JJ. Mind you, I do not know what I am doing but here goes...

http://www.amazon.com/How-I-Became-Famous-Novelist/dp/0802170609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269556819&sr=1-1

Now let us see if you can 'fix and fancy up that thar link'. I would drop the book off at your place but someone typed/ yelled at me in a thing I wrote to the last book and now I am scared of youse guys and the other posters. All critics tsk tsk and ack ack
Humbly Yours, Sardonica ( hanging head in shame)

March 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home